Well, first topic I would like to share on this blog is about “menstrual hygiene”. Presently working in a government setup I am astonished by the fact that a lot of women in our country especially in the reproductive age group are following horrible practices regarding menstrual hygiene. Most of the times these are uneducated and low socioeconomic groups but recently I visited a private school to address adolescent health, and to my surprise young girls were so misled by their mothers at home that I literally had to prove my point of view by logic and medical science to them. Well this is a common problem and definitely has an impact on health and hygiene of females.
So , I would like to document here about various myths related to menstruation which I have come across in our society.
1. One should not take bath during menstruation.
2. Head bath is allowed only after your periods are over.
3. One should not eat sour during periods.
4. Should not use pads available in markets, they transmit diseases rather use discarded cloths available at Home.
5. One should not touch books or write during menstruation ( prevalent in muslim girls).
NONE OF THESE ARE TRUE AND ARE PURE MYTHS AND SHOULD BE ABANDONED BY ALL.
Healthy practices during menstruation.
1.Take bath daily but Donot overwash the area.
2.Treat skin in the genital area very gently. Do not use bubble bath, feminine hygiene products or perfumed soaps or creams.
3. Do not use douches (i.e. internal washes).
4. Urinate (pee) before the bladder is full, avoid ‘hanging on’ and rinse the vulva with water after urinating.
5. Use 100% cotton menstrual pads and tampons – Avoid panty liners.
Many different kinds, depending on heaviness of period and body size
Wings provide extra protection.
6. Change frequently to keep fresh and dry .
7. Common problems include
Abdominal bloating mood swings
Digestive upsets – i.e. constipation, diarrhea
Breast tenderness & swelling
Painful cramps in 2/3 girls.
I have listed these because I want that whoever is reading this blog you are among the privileged group of our society and I request you all to spread awareness about this issue and help yourself ,your daughter ,your housemaid and any girl or women you know. Being a gynaecologist I come in contact of a lot of females but with you all I can touch them largly. Help me to spread awareness together and make this world a better place for everyone. Thank you from the core of my heart.